|RESIDENCE VILLA OLIVIA||Sightseeing|
Via Baiola 129
80075 Forio d'Ischia (NA)
tel/fax: +39 081998426
The "La Mortella" garden: This park is located at Forio d’Ischia and was originally the property of the English composer William Walton, who lived in the Villa next door with his wife. The composer, arrived on the island in 1946, planting wonderful tropical and Mediterranean plants, some of which have now reached amazing proportions.
Villa La Colombaia - The Villa, surrounded by a superb park, was the residence of the movie director Luchino Visconti. It is now the seat of the cultural Institution dedicated to Visconti, which is involved in cultural activities promotion such as music, cinema, theatre, art exhibitions, work-shops, cinema reviews. There is a museum dedicated to Luchino Visconti will. The Villa and the the Park are accessible to public visits.
The Sorgeto bay is rich in hot thermal springs in the Mediterranean Sea where one can bathe in the sea, even in Winter. In some places, the sea is so hot that it would be possible to boil eggs and potatoes. And more: if a turfacean stone is scratched, a mud can be obtained which can be used for making a beauty musk for the face.
Faiano Pine Forest
The Thermal Spas
The Castello Aragonese (Ischia Ponte): - Is one of the most striking monuments on the island. It stands on a small island near Ischia Ponte. The castle can be reached over a stone bridge. The small island is about 113 meters high and the climb can be made on an old mule track or by using a modern elevator that was installed in the seventies. The castle was built in 1441 by Alfonso D’Aragona on top of the ruins of an old fort that dated back to 474 B.C. This fortified castle was used to protect Ischia’s population from pirate attacks.
Guevara Tower - Ischia Ponte - The tower represents as well as the Castle one of the best known symbols of the island. It is called Guevara or Michelangelo’s Tower and is rising in front of the Castle, surrounded by a lawn and facing Sant’Anna rocks. The tower has been rebuilt on the ruins of an ancient fortress: it is likely one of the defence towers built from the XV century to protect the Castle islet ant the coast against enemies’raids. The tower derives its name from the Dukes of Guevara who were the ownwers since the beginning of 1800. Its second name derives from a groundless legend which tells that the world famous artist Michelangelo, who was a friend of the poet Vittoria Colonna, stayed in the tower when he was visiting the island. The tower is nowadays used as arts exhibition centre.
Il Torrione - Forio - Many towers have been built in the past along Ischia coastline to get better sight of the sea around the island . Since the IX century, they used to be built in order to defend the island against raids of pirates. One of those tower, called “Torrione” still now existing, is located in Forio, nearby the harbour. It was built in 1480, has two floors: the ground floor had not access from outside and was used as weapons and munitions storage, there was also a rain-water tank; on the upper floor there was the Garisson’s accommodation (about 10 people) led by a “torriere” that had the task of promptly taking sight of any enemy ship and sounding the alarm. On the top, there was a terrace provided with four cannons. Historians notice that many similar towers were built in Forio until the XVIII century, although many of them were used as private residence of noble families. 16 similar fotresses have been counted in all between 1480 and 1700, plus five more towers built in the district of Panza, some with a squarred base and others with a circular base. Many of these towers can be observed still now and are mainly private houses. The “Torrione”, after it had been restored, became a municipal Museum, on the lower floor, while the upper floor was the house of the artist Giovanni Maltese from Forio and is now an art gallery hosting his pictures and sculptures collection.
A.Rizzoli Museum The Angelo Rizzoli Museum is located in Villa Arbusto and collects a picture gallery about Angelo Rizzoli’s stay on the island of Ischia. He was used to stay in Lacco Ameno where he promoted the restructuring of the ancient Santa Restituta baths and sponsored the construction of a series of big luxury hotels which became since then the much loved destination for cinema stars and international jet-set in 50ies and 60ies.
Pithecusae Museum - Lacco Ameno - The Pithecusae Archaeological Museum is located at the main building of Villa Arbusto, in Lacco Ameno. The Villa was built in 1785 by Don Carlo Acquaviva, Duke of Atri, in the same place where was once a farm called “dell’arbusto” (“arbusto” means “ shrub” , in this case the reference is to a particular plant growing in the garden surrounding the building). The Villa had many owners , until 1952, when it was purchased by the publisher and movie producer Angelo Rizzoli who sponsored the reconstruction of the ancient thermal bath, the construction of some big hotels and the restoration of Piazza Restituta in the town centre of Lacco Ameno. Villa Arbusto is not only the seat of the Pithecusae Museum, but has a splendid garden, open to the public. In the Museum there are many archaeological findings dating back from the Prehistory to the Romans Age. On the ground floor there is the a Geological section , which shows how the presence of the volcano affected life on the island.
The Soccorso's church - Forio - It is devoted to "Santa Maria della neve" (Saint Maria of the snow), and it was built on a steeply promontory that take its name. As the "Torrione" it is the symbol of the town of Forio and it is one of the most original architecture structues of the Island of Ischia. The Soccorso was founded as an augustinian convent on about 1350 but it was suppressed on 1653, anyway its actual form go up since the 1864. The churh is accessible by 20 steps of piperno, then there is a little atrium with 5 crosses of pipernio too. This church is world famous not only for its position but specially for its singular facade, white and adorned by precious '700's majolicas representing saints and scenes of the Passion of Christ. The Soccorso's style is very original, it reassumes some architectures as greek-byzantine, moorish and mediterranian in harmonic shapes. The inside is very interesting becouse of the many types of volta. In the left chapel there is a thaumaturgical cross, a sculpture of catalan inspiration, surely made on the sec. XVI. Closed to this cross there are 2 marble medals, they was found in a medieval sarcophagus that was placed in the castel of the antique cathedral of Ischia. This church retains various arts as a shovel made by Cesare Calise that represents Saint Augustine, and a small basin of pipernio dated sec. IX-X. The 5 may 2002 Pope John Paul II during Pastoral Visit Meet with youth in a square adjacent to the church of Our Lady Help of Christians.
The Sea Museum (Museo del Mare)
|Villa Olivia - via baiola 129 - 80075 Forio d'Ischia (Na) - Tel/Fax +39 081 998426 - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|